Friday, September 16, 2011

Update: September 16

Today we had two Peewee A tryout games on the big Mattamy ice. Since I had lined up a great set of helpers for the two hours, I felt I could take off and referee the two continuous play games tonight.

I was quite surprised how fast some of these players are. On a shift change, I always take the puck to the opposite side away from the benches to allow a safe change with no collisions. A couple of times I was surprised to get the puck taken off my stick, I did not think these players could get across the ice that fast. Even worse was when I gave the puck on two occasions to the wrong team. I did not pay attention and did not think a red player could skate the entire ice past all the white players to get to me first.

Tomorrow is five games in a row. At least I get to sleep in a little.

Question of the day: What is the difference between body checking and body contact?

Answer: Hockey Canada has the following two definitions:

Body Checking:
Body Checking is defined as an individual defensive tactic designed to legally separate the puck carrier from the puck. This tactic is the result of a defensive player applying physical extension of the body toward the puck carrier moving in an opposite or parallel direction. The action of the defensive player is deliberate and forceful in an opposite direction to which the offensive player is moving and is not solely determined by the movement of the puck carrier.

Body Contact:
Body Contact is defined as an individual defensive tactic designed to legally block or impede the progress of an offensive puck carrier. This tactic is a result of movement of the defensive player to restrict movement of the puck carrier anywhere on the ice through skating, angling and positioning. The defensive player may not hit the offensive player by going in opposite direction to that player or by extending toward the offensive player in an effort to initiate contact. There must be no action where the puck carrier is pushed, hit or shoved into the boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment